Tuesday 9 April 2013

Acknowledgements - 9th April 2013

Here we are in April and still no sign of Spring!  I have just noticed that a typographical error sneaked into my Revised List of Poets on 20th February 2013 - horrors!   Dorothy L. Sayers - her name appeared without the 'S'. . .  I have now put this right.   I have, however, noticed that my Dear Computer alters things without my consent.   Ah the wonders of modern technology - what did we do without it?

Which brings me back to those amazing women - many of whom went to help out on the Western Front and in other theatres of War during 1914 - 1918.  Without Jumbo Jets and luxury cruise liners, without mobile phones and those little plastic containers for beauty products, etc., wearing long skirts and high button boots in the most atrocious of conditions and with very, very little water - how did they do what they did?   I salute them all.

I am working on a further revised list which will be available shortly.

I would like to thank everyone who has been in touch with me - I feel very lucky indeed to have so much support.

In particular I am very grateful to the following people who contacted me:

Seona Ford, Chair of the Dorothy L. Sayers Society - Seona had a letter printed in "The Times" on Monday, 31st March 2013 on the subject of women poets of the First World War.   The link to the Dorothy L. Sayers website is  www.sayers.org.uk - definitely a 'must see'.   Seona tells me the Society has around 500 members world wide.


Christen E. Runge 
Assistant Curator, Art Collection 
Special Collections Research Center, Lauinger Library 
Georgetown University 

Matt Jacobsen of 
OldMagazineArticles.com - another fantastic website and source of information:

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/articles


Thanks to Matt I have been able to find the answers to several questions that have been concerning me recently about the early days of WW1.

and

Emma a student from Amsterdam who has been very supportive indeed.   Best wishes with your project Emma - I look forward to reading it.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Best Wishes from
Lucy
9th April 2013