Monday 1 April 2013

Update and acknowledgements

I am very grateful to everyone who has contacted me.   I would like to thank 'The Times' newspaper for printing my letter about the project on Saturday, 30th March 2013 - there were some very good ideas in the other letters in the feature as well, particularly from Norman Isaacs, Nigel Hawkins and Jim Dixon.

Please forgive me if I do not reply to every e-mail personally - I have been overwhelmed by the response - but I do thank you very much indeed for contacting me and for your suggestions.   I will work through them and hope to include many of them in this project.

I am especially indebted to Mrs J. Kingsland, the Archivist at Downe School, to whom I wrote after reading "Peter Pan's First XI" by Kevin Telfer, which was recommended to me by poet and law Professor Stephen J. Cribari from Minnesota.   Mrs Kingsland very kindly searched the Archives at Downe House and found nine poems written by pupils who were at Downe House school during 1914 - 1918, including one by Audrey Lucas, daughter of E.V. Lucas.  I plan to include all of these as they are outstanding and very thought-provoking.

I am currently working through the many regional poems edited and published by S. Fowler Wright - for these poems I must thank Sheena Gaskell of the Birkenhead Reference Library, who suggested "Poets of Merseyside" which was published by SFW in 1923.

Jim Dixon's suggestion was Fredegond Shove (nee Maitland) 1889 - 1949 and through researching Fredegond, I discovered American poets Druna Barnes and Adelaide Crapsey.

I hope to be able to up-date my list of poets in the not too distant future.

Lucy London