Wednesday 7 August 2013

Today's Poet - Marie Nizet - acknowledgements and exhibition details

Today's poet is Marie NIZET - Belgium - 1859 - 1922.  As this project seeks to include as many countries as possible, I really needed to find a woman poet from Belgium.   You would not believe how hard that task has been - even with the help of the Internet and modern technology!

If anyone knows of any other female poets of the era from Belgium (other than Alice Nahon who is also on my List of Poets found so far), please get in touch and let me know their name and if possible where I can find out more information.

I should like to thank Michael Bully of the Western Front Association (website and Facebook Group) for his kind offer of help to spread the word about what I am doing. Michael has been very supportive of my project.  

The plan is to hold exhibitions which aim to help people to understand more about the First World War, using the medium of poetry written by women at the time.   The poetry featured is not necessarily about the War but in order to be included in this project, poets do need to have been able to write poetry at that time.   I wondered about Stevie Smith for example but as I began writing poetry when I was eleven years old, I could not exclude schoolgirls and indeed have some fine examples of poems written by schoolgirls during WW1 in the exhibition.

The next exhibition planned is for 15th August - 3rd September 2013 at the Ace Centre in Cross Street, Nelson, Lancashire BB9 7NN.   The Centre is open daily (but not Sundays or Bank Holidays) from 10 am - 4 pm, Mondays - Saturdays.  Entry is free.

If anyone is interested, and for those unable to attend exhibitions, there is a companion booklet, featuring poets and poems, so please get in touch if you would like a copy.   Details are on 
http://www.poshupnorth.com/2013/08/new-title-female-poets-of-first-world.html

As I explained previously, this is not an academic study as such and does not feature any comments about poets or poems - brief biographical details are included, plus a photo and one or two poems depending on length.   I feel there is plenty of scope for anyone leading a study group to get discussions going if required.