Wednesday 17 July 2013

"The Nation's Cause French, English and German Poetry of the First World War" by Elizabeth A. Marsland

I managed to purchase a copy of this fantastic book.   This is the first time I have found a book about WW1 poetry that includes languages other than English. I am looking forward to reading this very much.  First published in 1991 by Routledge, Abingdon, Oxford, my copy is a "Routledge Revival", published in 2011. In the Preface to the reissue, Routledge explain:  ""The Nation's Cause" was, and remains, an unusual study ... because the book attempts to explain how poetry can legitimately serve as evidence of historical attitudes, its reissuing in time for the centennial of August 1914 seems appropriate."  Brilliant initiative Routledge!

Incidentally, when I approach people for information on poets, I am often directed to Catherine Reilly's "Scars upon my Heart", Nosheen Khan's "Women's Poetry of the First World War" and Margaret R. Higonnet's "Lines of Fire Women Writers of World War 1".   These are in fact the very first books I consulted when I  began to research in April 2012 for the Exhibition "Female Poets of the First World War". That exhibition is still on show at The Wilfred Owen Story at 34 Argyle Street, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 6AE.

Since then I have moved on and, among other languages, I am also looking for poems in Welsh, Irish and Scottish.  As I was unable to find translations for some of the poems I found (e.g. Portuguese, German and French), I thought it would be great to include the other languages of the British Isles.

As always if you have any ideas, please get in touch.

Acknowledgements:

I should like to thank Richard S. Fogarty of the Department of History at the University of Albany SUNY in New York and Santanu Das, South Asia, for contacting me and for their advice, which I am following up.

I also had a reply from Birmingham Library which is in the process of moving and will re-open in September.

THANK YOU ALL.