Sunday 28 July 2013

News of May Sinclair in "Wirral News"

Dean Johnson kindly sent me this cutting from the "Wirral News" of 24th July 2013.

When Dean first asked me to produce an exhibition of Female Poets of the First World War for his lovely museum in Argyle Street, Birkenhead, Wirral - The Wilfred Owen Story - I began by looking to see if there were any Wirral poets and discovered to my joy that May Sinclair was born in Rock Ferry.

May's contribution is extremely important in my view because, not only was she among the first women to travel to France in 1914 in order to nurse the wounded, she was also a well known and respected author by that time.

I have been fortunate enough to be in touch with some of the world's experts on May Sinclair, especially Suzanne Raitt, Professor of English at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, America, who put me in touch with Rebecca Bowler, Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield.   As I mentioned in an earlier blog, Rebecca is about to launch The May Sinclair Society.  

Thank you to Dean Johnson for asking me to produce the Exhibition and for putting it on show at The Wilfred Owen Story  - where it is available to view during 2013 - and setting me on this fascinating journey

Thank you to Suzanne Raitt for her encouragement of my project

Thank you to Rebecca Bowler for her enthusiastic support of my project